Pages

Thursday, September 8, 2022

Throwback Thursday: Remembering Lola Iyay

Lola Iyay was my Mama Lola's* sister. I probably met her when I was 8 months old when my parents brought me to Villa Merced for the first time. Lola Iyay had a house across the beach and she'd take care of us whenever we'd go home to Pasacao. 

Lola Iyay was the complete opposite of my Mama Lola. She had a very hearty laugh and always had a ready smile. She also had a very good command of the English language because she used to be a teacher. They told me she also acted as a nurse during the war. Whenever I think about Lola Iyay, I always picture her wearing a daster, a farmer's hat, boots and she always had an itak hanging from her waist. It was also easy to trigger her tears. 


Villa Merced 


We spent many summers in Pasacao. Some of our neighbors would come with us, so they also knew Lola Iyay. That only stopped when the situation in the area became risky and we were advised not to visit. I don't even remember the last time I saw Lola Iyay and when she passed away. At least I still her remember her crazy laugh and the animated way she'd tell stories. I loved hanging around her when I was a child because she was a fun person. 

Too bad I was so young when she was still around. I could just imagine the many adventures she's been through. She was the youngest in the family and I can just imagine how she drove my very prim and proper Mama Lola when they were growing up. They also told me that her eldest sister, Ma Edad, was super strict. I hope I can get more information about my lolas from my Titas and my Mom. I'm at the point in my life where I want to learn more about my ancestors :)

Did you ever have a makulit na grandparent?

*Mama Lola - my maternal grandmother

**Itak = bolo

***Happy birthday Mama Mary!***


#BeKind #StaySafe

No comments:

Post a Comment