Pages

Thursday, October 11, 2007

On Writing and Blogging

A few months ago we made a claim in a Bobcast that Doogie Howser is the first blogger and Carrie Bradshaw in "Sex in the City" was also kinda blogging. Both were just actually writing an electronic diary (coz I never saw them publish it online). Blogging after all is one's online journal - may it be a personal blog, a photoblog, art blog, micro-blog or whatever - it IS still a diary of sorts.

I've been writing since I was a kid (8 to be exact). It was my Mom who encouraged me to write by giving me a small hardbound notebook (it's still around here somewhere). I started out just writing down stuff I did for the day (i.e. Today Dad and I went to Jollibee, may Jollibee na nun!) and I also wrote a lot of letters to my friends and sent it by postal mail (I collected stamps too!). And then I eventually wrote through my PC most of the time and just kept a planner for all the daily, mundane stuff.

Eventually, I started writing short stories, tried to write poetry and then scripts and then dabbled writing in Filipino under the tutelage of Bryan Supan Siy who was the EIC of Malate Literary Folio then (his claim to fame are the Fita Best Friend and Fairy commercials). My writing froze up when Cirilo Bautista gave good reviews for a short story I wrote. My muse got scared coz he basically said the story was probably going to be my obra maestra. Bye-bye muse! LOL. After that I stopped writing for 8 years, for many, many reasons.

My muse slowly came back when I started a diary again. That was 4 years ago and I eventually started this blog - for work, to educate myself and push myself to eventually start writing stories again (some effort can be seen at Tales of the Moonless Sky). I guess that's how my writing has evolved. I've gotten offers to write a book, but I declined since I don't think I'm ready for it. Maybe someday.

Well, let's see where this blog would go, for the meantime, if you're a blogger (or would want to start blogging), here's something to do -

Bloggers Unite - Blog Action Day

All you need to do is to make a post about the environment on October 15 - anything goes, you can write about your thoughts on the environment, organize a clean-up day, write a short story or whatever. Be creative! And don't forget to register your blog to be counted in the effort.

Oh! And it's Mama Mary's month! Don't forget to pray the rosary! And you may want to download a rosary podcast so you can listen and pray the rosary through your MP3 or MP4 player.

1 comment:

  1. thanks po ulit ate aileen :P nag join din ako doon sa blogactionday.org pero di ko na binasa.. haha basta join join lang ^___^

    kaso la pa ako maisip na ma post about the environment. ahehehe :P

    ReplyDelete