Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Blogger Lingo 101

I guess I've spent so much time with bloggers that I've managed to assimilate blogger lingo in my vocabulary. Now being the nerdy/geeky person I am, some people think I speak inanities, but in fact I'm just speaking my everyday language. And I'm hopefully not boring!

Blogger Talk 101:

(1) That's not bloggable!

Of course, bloggers spend time offline and we talk about many, many things under the sun. If you tell a reporter "that's off the record", then you have to tell a blogger "that's unbloggable!". Read Ely's recount on non-bloggable things.

(2) Link baiter!

Sometimes there are bloggers who write about stuff in the hopes of getting link backs. In layman's (offline) terms it means you are a social climber. You try to network with people in the hopes that you get recognized and become famous like the Philippines most influential and top blogger (that's based on stats).

Note: When talking offline, bloggers say "topic baiter!".

(3) Zero PR

This means the blog (or website) has zero page rank. Page rank mainly shows the level of relevance of your page (and how important it is). In layman's term, are you making any sense or is your content relevant at all? If you're PR is zero, you'd need to talk to a SEO or do some marketing through Google Adwords. Coupons anyone?

(4) Blog roll

Your list of personal blog favorites, usually found either on the left or right (usually) side of your blog posts. I call it my "friendly friends"

(5) Some favorite blogger expressions

Gulp!...Whew!...Uhh... Err... Gawd... Oh noes!... Noooooo!.... No way!

From Abe: Ego Search

Searching your name on Google to find out who and what people are saying about you.

I'm sure my blog roll can provide more terms :)

Oh BTW, you can get a free copy of Blog This: How Blogs Empower Every Internet User. It's written by a friend.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:42 PM

    another one I often here is "if I stay near you , maybe my Page Rank will increase"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:43 PM

    i'm a BLuRKeR :) a pinoy one ;)

    What is a Blurker?

    1. A reader of blogs that leaves no trace of the visits behind. (blog + lurker)

    But sometimes i do leave comments hehehe.

    2. A reader of blogs who has no blog of his or her own. See also "blog voyeur."

    But sometime ago, i started http://pinoyblurker.wordpress.com just to have a record of the blogs i visit. And just recently, i got http://blogs.pinoyblogosphere.com/pinoyblurker :D

    So, am i still a blurker? I believe so. Sige na payag na kayo hehe. please... LoL. thanks!

    - - -

    More Blog terms here:

    Blog terms: Glossary
    http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci1186975,00.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:13 AM

    ah. so yun pala yun, link baiter, an online social climber. so i have a link baiter in my blogroll.
    magsusumbong ako aileen!
    now the reason why i hate her, but i cant tell her i hate her, is not only because shes a link baiter, but she tries to copy the way i write, my expressions, my format, my topics, the way i present my thoughts, the way i blog in general, and is currently trying to get in my circle of blog friends ( i mean theres nothing wrong with being friends with someone's friends, but if it seems a person is bent on presenting herself the way i do and then wanting to be more than just a link exchange on my friends... teka muna) , and it's freaking me out!!! obvious ba, im freaked out talaga. i was advised that imitation is the best form of flattery but it's extremely annoying, esp since i dont like being monitored - so she can post something na. what do you call that?? give me a name!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pagerank by osmosis? Possible. If people talk about you and link ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got me on the blogger expressions. I think I use them all.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. btw, some people also use the term "ego-surfing" instead of ego searching...

    wala lang, just a trivia :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @noemi - I wish! Can I tag along with you? :p

    @pinoyblurker - sige na nga...

    @cess - oh well girl... ganun talaga mga uncreative people, they stalk you!

    @miguel - normally when it's negative, nobody links to you :p

    @rt - may dagdag pa ako, stuff I forgot

    @cyberpunk - thanks! abe said I should do that often, but then again I just like writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how net-watch didn't even respond to your blog but immediately tried to get some clicks to his blog just like you mentioned in this article. I see people doing that all the time on my pages/blogs/& websites. I find it rude/disrespectful and I delete them. I don't know if you know the guy and I'm not trying to point him out specifically.. Just sayin, ya know?

    ReplyDelete