Pages

Thursday, January 11, 2024

Fischer Price Movie Theater | Vintage Toys

I remember we brought home the Fischer Price Movie Viewer from the US. The "theater" comes with a small screen where you can watch 8mm images stored in a cartridge. It also allows you to project the images. Fischer Price introduced this to the market in 1977. They previously made a viewer in 1973. I don't remember if my parents bought it for me during my first trip to the US with the whole family. It may also have been a gift from one of our relatives in the US. 




I still remember using it and would watch the film on the screen. I would also project it on Daddy's cabinet. I only had one cartridge and that's what I watched over and over. They probably couldn't find additional cartridges here, so I soon got tired of watching the same show.

One issue we encountered though is plugging it. Since it's US made, the plug required 110 volts. Back then we had some outlets at home where you could plug 110 volt appliances. My parents fussed over it. We found the gadget while decluttering my childhood home. The plug was gone. I think they may have tried to use batteries to get it to work. 

You can watch how it works through this video:




Too bad, it probably won't work anymore. I saw there are some being sold on eBay. Not sure what we'll do with it at this point since it's not working. I also thought it was long gone, but Mom apparently kept a lot of my toys. Nowadays, kids can just easily watch a film from a mobile phone/tablet. TVs are also huge nowadays, so no need to project stuff. This was fun to have when I was a child. It probably planted the seeds on why I become interested in tech stuff. 

#BeKind #StaySafe 

No comments:

Post a Comment