Pages

Monday, October 16, 2023

Had Mom's Half Century Old Sala Set Re-upholstered

Yes, we've been living in our home for two years now and we still don't have a sala set. We didn't rush to buy one when we moved because our living room was full of boxes until about two months ago. Ally and her team had to comb back and help us clear more stuff. I told myself we won't purchase anything for the house until we've cleared all the boxes. 

We've started the painful process of clearing my childhood home. At 50+ years old it's actually considered an ancestral house already. Most of the furniture are actually older than me, including the sala set. As far as I remembered it's only been re-upholstered once in the 90s. Mom and Grace worked on it if I remember correctly. For the past decade Mom always had covers on it, so I always thought it still looked good. I was wrong though, it badly needed some repairs. The base though was still very sturdy.



I asked my siblings if I could possibly use the sala set since it has to be removed anyway when the house is fixed. They said yes and after dilly-dallying for a few months, I finally found a reputable service company to work on the set. The one I found and inquired on FB suddenly disappeared. Good thing I take really long to decide on things. Probably saved me from getting scammed. Anyway, I found the reputable company through Google Maps.

Three weeks ago the sala set was pulled out and brought to Guada's upholstery shop. Manong Jojo and his assistant managed to fit in the 5 pieces plus our loveseat in their van (it was like playing tetris!). They delivered it to our home the other day. I was amazed with the transformation! We changed it to a neutral color to match our home (and well I'm not really fond of the color orange). I could always make quilts to put on it to add color. Plus Mom has a lot of quilted throw pillow covers she made through the years. 


Before and After


Now that I have a piece of my old home in our home, I feel more at home. We're still figuring out how to lay it out in our odd shaped living room. The set is very heavy, so we have to really plan the set-up before it's moved. I don't want the boys to end up with back pain! 

I know it's taking forever to really fix our home, but we'll get there hopefully by this Christmas. :)

#BeKind #StaySafe



No comments:

Post a Comment