Pages

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Happiness



There was a time in my life that everything was gloomy. I was going through something and during that time it was hard for me to find joy in anything. I eventually read in a book that it helps to list down your blessings. It doesn't have to be huge things, but can be as simple as a a sunny day, an easy commute to work, eating pandesal etc. When you are depressed it's really hard to find something that made you happy for that day. I told myself though that I had to get myself out of the rut I was in so I kept on listing in my diary (which unfortunately went under water during Typhoon Ondoy). Eventually it became so easy to make a list that I could list down a hundred blessings a day.

I was reminded of this when Sweetie mentioned that he and his officemates would use the term "happiness" for their afternoon snacks. They do this to cope with work stress. So if you are stuck in a rut and need a quick fix try listing down 3 things that made you happy in a day. It doesn't need to be an extravagant thing, the more simple it is the better. It could be as simple as the elevator (lift) opening as you are about to press the button to call for it. Or a stranger helping you by keeping the door open. Or finding some extra money by chance in your pants pocket. Add 3 more to the list as days go by and pretty soon you'll be running out of notebook space!

“Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment