Pages

Saturday, March 16, 2024

How I Use Coffee Grinds

Since we shifted to grinding coffee beans I had a happy discovery! We have a steady supply of coffee grinds we can re-use. I'm happy about it because I used to ask for grinds from Starbucks. Sometimes though someone beats me to it, haha. 




Here's how I use it:

  • Compost - I used to just toss the grinds with the filter in our compost bin. I mix it up with fruit peels and veggie discards. It's better to have a good mix, but I realized there's other uses for the coffee grinds (plus I don't want the worms to be too caffeinated.
  • Sun dried compost - after some research I found out that some of our plants like acidic soil (i.e. gumamela, bamboo and our bushes). I would usually place the grinds on a metal pan and leave it under the sun for a week. Then I add it to the soil. {I add tea leaves if Sweetie remembers to save it).
  • Cat repellant - there are many stray cats in our neighborhood and they love using the garden as their toilet. They don't like the smell of coffee though, so adding the dried coffee grinds (or stale beans) keeps them away. You have to add the grinds weekly though since what they don't like is the smell of coffee. 
  • Repel bugs - bugs, especially mosquitoes, also don't like the smell of coffee. You can just put some of the grinds in small cups and put it around the house. You may also make some coffee and use it as a spray (I use stale coffee if I have any). 
  • Orchid spray - I've tried this a few times. Used stale coffee grinds to make a spray. It certainly made my orchids happy. 

I add tea leaves when available.


Happy gardening!

#BeKind #StaySafe

No comments:

Post a Comment