Pages

Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Daisy, My 12 Year Old Netbook

Growing up my Mom kept telling me to take care of my things. She'd always point to the wooden bed which she bought with her first salary in the late 50s. That bed is still in use at home and it's as sturdy as ever. I take care of my things the same way. 

We've started to assess our things in preparation for our trip back home. We're now going through old devices to decide what to do with them. After some research I found a company here in Singapore that processes e-waste. They require quite a status update on the devices before submitting it to them for review. So yesterday that's what we did. 


I was super surprised to find out that my MSI Wind netbook, Daisy, is still working. And it had two programs still running, a telenovela I was watching the last time I used it (probably around 2015) --

And Chrome with Google's old logo --




Preserved in "sleep" haha. Apparenly I never updated it to Windows 10, it's still on Windows XP. I remember trying out Neverware* on it a few years ago and it worked. I have a lot of happy memories with Daisy. It was what we used during our wedding to play our videos and it has a cameo on our wedding video. Daisy was also my travel companion back then since she was the perfect size for me. 

I don't think I'm ready to give up Daisy for now. She won't be useful anyway if I donated her. Sweetie cleaned her up so I'll just use her for writing offline. I'm definitely giving up my Asus Vivobook and Miggy's old Acer laptop. The Vivobook could still be useful, but the Acer one will probably need a lot of fixing before it becomes useful. 

As for other devices, I don't really own other devices. I also used Miggy's old phone for my local SIM. All my other stuff is probably back home in Manila. We'll deal with that in time. Up next for review: books!

Day 19 Minimalism challenge, Venture Outdoors. I only go out now whenever I have to go to my doctor. I do go to the balcony everyday to check on my plants. If Sweetie decides to go out for a walk today I could probably tag along with him. In case it rains, I have my exercise bike :D

*If you're a company or an organization with a lot of old branded computers you can consider using Neverware on it and donate it for schools/student use.

CB///*Yr2/130 #StuckAtHomeDay/Yr2/153 #NewG316 #Home74 #StayHome #BeKind

No comments:

Post a Comment