Pages

Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Cooked the Best Soup in the World at Home! Sinigang!

There's so much Pinoy good vibes going around lately! Hidilyn Diaz won a gold medal for weightlifting at the Olympics. Three other Filipino athletes are also bringing home medals! Beating the last time we brought home 3 in 1932 (source). Another great news this week is the recognition of Sinigang as the best soup by Taste Atlas. Yaaas!


There are many ways to cook sinigang. Just like adobo, each household probably have their own way of cooking sinigang. I learned to cook it mainly from following what's written behind the sinigang mix packet (haha). I've tried cooking sinigang with pork and salmon, but we so far like the pork version better. I used to be able to eat it with shrimp, but I developed allergies for shell fish unfortunately. 

You can also use a wide array of veggies when cooking sinigang -- kangkong, mustasa, miso etc. I use mustasa often because I could get it fresh from my balcony garden hehe. Most households also use gabi (taro), but since it's hard to find here in SG I use radish instead. Really up to you what ingredients you want to use. 

The best sinigang is made with fresh tamarind/sampalok, kamias, bayabas, santol, kamatis or mangga. It takes longer to cook it that way though (but definitely much, much better!). Good think sinigang mix was invented and you can get this from a Filipino or Asian store (also at Fairprice in Singapore!). With sinigang mix, all you need is about 25 minutes to cook sinigang.

I cooked sinigang last night and Miggy said he missed eating it. Made him a video so he can cook some for himself. Thought I'd share it today for friends who want to learn how to cook sinigang at home. Here's the video!



Ingredients:

1/2 kg pork cubes 

1 tsp salt 

2-3 chopped tomatoes 

1 chopped onion 

1 gabi (taro) or radish 

sinigang mix 

3-5 long sili (pepper) 

5-6 cups water

Day 5 Minimalism Challenge, Empty your wallet. Oh this minimalism challenge has been pretty easy the past few days. I emptied my wallet when I cleaned my handbag the other day. I clean my wallet often because I have a bad habit of stuffing receipts and coins in it when I'm out. When I do that I couldn't zip it up anymore haha. I downsized before to a small coin purse, but a friend gifted me with a nice, proper wallet. Of course I started to use the wallet. Oh one thing I probably need to do is clean up my "other currency" wallets. I have that because I used to travel a lot. Ahhh, that's what I'll do then for today's challenge :)

CB///*Yr2/116 #StuckAtHomeDay/Yr2/139 #NewG330 #Home88 #StayHome #BeKind 

No comments:

Post a Comment