Pages

Saturday, March 25, 2023

Plantita Saturdays: Bottomless Spring Onions Grown from Kitchen Scraps

Friday night last week I used some spring onions for dinner. It had roots so I thought I'd give planting spring onions again. I soaked the roots in water overnight and planted them on Saturday afternoon. My previous attempts at doing this always ended in disaster. 

The biggest mistake I did before was I soaked it in water for a few days. This time I immediately planted it the day after. This probably prevented it from rotting. 

Day 1 - planted it in soil with some composed. I made sure to wet the soil properly so that the plant would be encouraged to grow. I placed the pot beside the kitchen sink so I could keep an eye on it.


Day 2 - I was surprised to see it grow almost an inch overnight. Watered it a bit since it was a hot day.


Day 3 - I had food poisoning so Miggy took the photo for me. Jay said he sprinkled some water on the plant after washing his hands.


Day 4 & 5 - I was so sick I forgot about everything else.

Day 6 - feeling better I managed to check on the plant. Soil was pretty dry so I watered it well, making sure to let the excess water drain out. Also moved it away from direct sunlight since it's been so hot the past few days.

Day 7 - not entirely sure if I'm over watering or under watering. Will use my soil test gadget to check whether to water or not. 

Hopefully I could use it for cooking in a few days. I might buy another batch to make another pot.

#BeKind #StaySafe


No comments:

Post a Comment