Pages

Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Mid-Air Proposal (via zipline)


March 14, 2009

Sweetie proposed to me while I was mid-air on the zipline today.

I was pretty nervous about today since we were scheduled for a zipline adventure at Xcelerrator here in Davao. I wasn't so gung-ho about it since I was scared that trekking up the mountain might trigger an asthma attack (nginig!). I did not want to disappoint my friends (and myself) so even though I was a bit anxious about the trek I still agreed to do it. Good thing it was a bright and sunny day, unlike yesterday when it rained the whole day. It was not an easy trek and I had to take a lot of breaks with Sweetie. I was last on the list anyway so I wasn't worried about not making it to the platform immediately. 


After a couple of stops Sweetie and I finally managed to get to the platform area and everyone clapped. I then sat down beside Ria and chatted with Jeff, Fritz, Hana, Markku, Chattee, and Brendel. I was a bit sad though that Sweetie was going to go down ahead of me, but I did not want to make a fuss so I just kept quiet about it. 

Marrku and Hana went ahead since they were #20 and #21. Long way to go I thought since my
 priority 
number was 40. We were all surprised though that Sweetie was called after Hana. He held my hands before he went up the ladder to tell me that I was finally going to find out what all the clues were all about (he's been giving clues since November and one every week since Valentine's). What he said did not sink in since: (1) I was nervous for him going on the zipline;
 (2) I had given up deciphering the clues since they were really hard to crack and (3) I was anxious about going on the zipline, so my comperehension was pretty below average.

After Sweetie took the zipline I just continued chatting with my friends. I had nothing to do since I left all my gadgets at the hotel and my phones with Gwing who was at the entrance of the park waiting for us. Little did I know that there was an ongoing Plurk 
riot already because Arpee and Jane announced that we had gotten engaged. Blogie issued an embargo and the plurks were deleted because they were worried that I might've been surfing while waiting for my turn.

I was really surprised when the crew called me. I'm wasn't prepared yet! I wanted to tell the crew that it wasn't my turn yet since about 10 people were supposed to go ahead of me. But they insisted and called me by name. So up I went the platform and waited for my turn. My knees were shaking since I was nervous that I might drop my camera while I was on the zipline since I was going to take a video. I even had to stop the crew before pushing me out because I was really nervous. They just gave me a few seconds before they pushed me out of the ledge.

The zipline was a dizzying, enjoyable experience. I kept whirling around
 and I'm sure the video I took would attest to that. When I got to the end of the line everyone was looking at me as though they were expecting something. I just smiled and waved. I was about to panic already since I could not find Sweetie in the crowd. I was already ready to cry because I could not find him.

Blogie called my attention and I finall
y noticed that he was holding this huge tarpaulin. I immediately noticed that it had “Sweetie,” on it. I had to squint a bit to read what was written below it. It asked, “Will you marry me?” 

I was floored (I was mid-air though LOL). I finally found him after twisting around a bit. He was on the “rolling stairs” holding another tarp explaining all the clues he gave me. And then he said, “Sweetie! Will you marry me?” I was really so surprised and tulala and I remember someone from the audience asking, “So what's the answer?” I then just shouted, “Yes Sweetie I will marry you!”

Then I was reeled in by the crew and Sweetie reached out for me. He then brought out the ring and kneeled down and asked again, “Will you marry me?”

Everything else was a blur and I'm not sure how I managed to go down the steep steel staircase since my legs were wobbly. When we got down we were greeted by our friends and new-found friends and the owner of Xcelerrator also gave his congratulations and gave us two free t-shirts! (Apparently the whole staff knew what was going to happen!). 

I was really, really surprised today since: (1) it never crossed my mind that Sweetie would propose now (2) I knew that Sweetie was planning something and I thought it was a surprise trip, I never thought that he would conspire with Andrew with this grand plan; (3) I always wished for the perfect proposal, but I never really thought about the details and (4) eversince I got asthma my daily concern has been focused on not triggering it (LOL).

Thank you Sweetie for making me the happiest girl in the universe today and for making this a really perfect day. I appreciate all the hard work you put in to make it work. Naisahan mo ako ha!

Thank you also for the co-conspirators:

Honey – for the ring! Aba, nung isang taon niyo pa pala pinagplanuhan ito ha!
Andrew – for all the legwork and tiny details you guys worked out. Uber fail ang rants ko sa iyo about the clues! Arggghhh! Naisahan talaga ako!
Blogie – for proceeding with the zipline today even though you thought of moving it to the 15th. At may heart pa pala sa schedule ng DFAT ha! And for the Plurk embargo! Good thing I did not bring any gadgets when we went up to the platform.
Markku and Hana – for the full photo and video coverage! Wow! Wala ako masabi! Super duper thanks! We will cherish the photos and videos forever.
AJ - for accommodating Sweetie's request to put one of the clues in your blog.
Our blogger friends from Manila, Davao and GenSan, and Plurk friends from all over (sensya na sa riot ha, wala ako kamalay-malay), you guys made it more unexpected because I never thought Sweetie would do a public proposal. Thank you for all the support! (And please do send me a copy of photos/videos you took of the day, pretty please?).
Matt McNeil and his staff at OutlandAdventure.org (Xcelerator) - I should've picked up the excitement of the staff! They seemed all kilig! Thank you! Your camp will forever be in my heart.
And most especially to Papa God – the past 15 years have been pretty rough, but with faith anything is really possible. Thank you for writing my perfect love story.

You may want to visit our new website, www.AileenJay.com for full details on how Sweetie planned this perfect day.



More about the proposal:

Our website where Sweetie recounts how he planned everything
Yogajane's back-end kwento
You can also watch the raw video of the proposat at Markku's Vimeo channel

55 comments:

  1. This is Kuya Kevin (KuyaKevin.com). I ran across your blog. Yun lang--have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, Getting married soon! Best wishes in advance!

    X of Obnoxiousqueer.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. And to think that Jay first laid out the tarp for me when I reached the end of my zipline, hahaha! I was so shocked that I shouted, "Why me? I am taken already!!" Hehehe!

    It was the most romantic proposal I have ever witnessed in my entire life and I am so thankful to have been a small part of it (cheering squad). In behalf of the GenSan bloggers, my wish of a lovely and fruitful life together for both of you.

    Mwah! Love u!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wahgahahahaha.. congrats ate. weeee. wishing the best for you and kuya jay. :D one of a kind proposal, more than perfect i think. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, that was so sweet! congrats to you & your future hubby. and to your friends, too. Galing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. congrats!!!!
    hahhaha..ayos yung proposal! wohooh..galeng!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aileen,I am so happy for you both!

    At siyempre of all the days, absent ako sa Plurk when the announcement happened :D

    I wish you both all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations to you both!! I'm now looking forward to the next great event....the wedding!! So when

    Cookie
    http://scroochchronicles.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:31 PM

    Awwwwwwww Achi Aileen! :) I am really happy for you! :) Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. truly, an unforgettable ride, hehe...

    congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awwww wow! Congrats to you two! I wish you all the best! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats! Sobrang sweet wow! I'm sure the two of you will have a great life together. Best wishes! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats Jay and Aileen!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations to you both. I'm very happy for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not a mushy guy, but your story puts a smile on my face. Congratulations to both of you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a proposal! Wish u all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Proposing while you were in mid-air - that's certainly creative! :) Congratulations to the two of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on your engagement.. It's about time actually. Nice One JayDJ

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations!!! What a sweet proposal!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congraaaaaaaats!!

    So happy for you!! :)

    Awwwwwwwwwwww....

    ReplyDelete
  21. congwatulations! :D :D :D that was FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous12:53 AM

    awww. congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  23. congrats aileen!!! this put a real wide smile on my face ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awww! That was so sweet! I was smiling all throughout the entry! Haha. Congratulations! -GeoRge

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats! I'm so happy for you! Sobra! I remember our kwentuhan before sa Taste Asia. naiyak naman ako sa tuwa :)

    Ang sweet ni sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  26. aileen!! i am so happy for you. i thought ziplines are giant baloons?

    ReplyDelete
  27. wooooow ang sweeeeet!

    congratulations!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. awww......congratz!!!! napaka-romantic at original naman! ang saya-saya! to think di ko to malalaman agad kung hindi mo ako ni-text! *hugz* i'm so happy for you sis! at siyempre para kay Jay as well! *hugs* *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations to to the 2 of you! May you have a long and beautiful life together! Love you both :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Aileen Congrats..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. ahaha!!! Congrats mare! at kudos to your sweetie for the way he proposed!;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Anonymous10:50 AM

    Naiyak naman ako reading the story from your end and viewing the video of Markku, Aileen.

    Am so happy to have been a small part of your special day (kasama na yung bloopers namin nina Arpee, haha).

    Enjoy your preparations and wishing you the longest, happiest life together...

    ReplyDelete
  33. Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for the two of you! May date na ba? I don't want to miss the wedding. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  34. @janette thanks! Of course you can't miss the wedding! Ninang ka eh!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Aileen and Jay, congratulations! Let me share with you a quote from one of my fave movies, When Harry Met Sally:

    [W]hen you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.

    ;) stay happy together!

    ReplyDelete
  36. HAHAHA! Congratulations again sistur!!!! yes, one year in the process! So happy for you and Jay!

    ReplyDelete
  37. ay teka ... bakit profile ni jun na gamit ko sistur?! biglang nag "Sistur" si jun sa iyo ... parang di bagay. haha. Congrats again! - Honey Caragos

    ReplyDelete
  38. ay hala.. bakit kang jun na account nagamit ko sa pag comment. hinde bagay na nag "sistur" siya sa iyo! hahahaha. Congratulations again! Now you know why of all the things i would bring with me to manila, yung ring sizer pa ng shop ng mom ko. :P Gotcha!!!! Mission Accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  39. @stephanie kaya pala nagtaka ako kung sino si John Clark! Hahahaha! And siyempre di man lang ako nagsuspetcha when you brought the ring sizer! Isa kang magaleng na jeweller! At ito naman ako sobrang gullible! Hahahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Mali yatang post ko ng comment. Anyway, I was privy to the plan but I was told in the strictest confidence. Excited nga ako and finally the day arrived. Glad it turned out as planned and more. Congrats to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  42. @noemi Oo nalagay mo dun sa Chicken Crossing post! hahaha. Salamat :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. AILEEN!!!! Bwahahahha. BEST WISHES! Saya yan.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Anonymous4:36 PM

    Congratulations, Aileen and Jay!

    ReplyDelete
  45. A ok, so Jay pala ang name nya...i always refer to him as Sweetie kasi...hahaha (i remember RK was asking me, who's with Aileen?, i said she's with Sweetie)....congrats to you both, may you live happily ever after

    ReplyDelete
  46. Waaaah nakakakilig talaga! :) I never thought na such proposal would happen in real life. Perfect! :D

    Can't wait for the De Jesus-Apolo nuptials LOL :D Congrats! :D

    ReplyDelete
  47. you're welcome!!! i would do that again in a heartbeat. congrats aileen and jay! :)

    hugs, hugs , hugs to the sweetest couple in google universe! :D

    ReplyDelete
  48. Not every man can offer marriage, so I salute Jay! Congratulations to the coolest couple in the planet! So happy for both of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  49. wow.. sweet naman...
    congrats!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  50. i revisited this post kahit months ago ito to check the comments. Thank you to everyone who congratulated us. And I'm even more happy to have made Aileen the happiest lady ever that day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  51. @Sweetie I will never forget that day Sweetie. Hugz.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Hello Aileen and Jay! cherish the moments! Nag emo ako sa love story ninyo. Best wishes! More babies to come!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Congrat's Ms. Aileen -- i've always been ur lurker since we met here in cebu.

    xylon
    http://xtinger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete