Pages

Saturday, February 18, 2023

Plantita Saturdays: Grew Blue Ternate from the Pod it Produced

I grew my blue ternate plant from seeds I bought online. It took weeks before it sprouted and then quite awhile before it started to produce flowers. I eventually found out though that it really likes banana peel tea. When I started giving it banana peel tea* it produced more flowers and started growing pods. I was ecstatic because it meant I can grow more plants eventually. 




I harvested the pod when it started drying. Left it to dry more and then I popped it in a seedling tray. It sprouted faster than the seeds I bought online, probably because the seed tray kept the soil moist. I was surprised to find out that the plant requires very little soil. It's been three months and I haven't transplanted it. it's grown about three feet since October. 




I'm really happy I was able to grow a plant from seeds my garden produced. I always thought that growing flowering plants is hard since i haven't been successful with others I tried growing from seeds. There is hope! The original blue ternate plant I grew is still alive. It has survived a lot of my garden's disasters (higad, drought, aphids, leaf miners etc.) and it's been easy to maintain. I'll probably re-pot this new one soon so it can grow and produce more flowers we can make into tea. 

Happy gardening everyone!


*How to make banana peel tea - 

http://thebalconyfarmer.blogspot.com/2020/07/plant-fertilizer-from-what-you-have-at.html

No comments:

Post a Comment