Pages

Friday, June 25, 2021

Wanted: Change Makers

I couldn't sleep last night. I was trying to understand and make sense of why PNoy died at such a young age. I admired him as a leader. He had the heart of service and he lived his life with integrity. These were principles my Dad kept teaching us growing up. 

There was one post that really bothered me yesterday. It read, "Everytime the Philippines needs saving, an Aquino dies." There's been three in my lifetime, Ninoy (1983), Cory (2010) and PNoy (2021). I remember my parents bringing me to Ninoy's wake at Fort Bonifacio. I was 8 years old and my parents explained to me what was happening to our country. This was followed by tumultuous years in the country. It was not an easy transition to a democratic government. 

I think all of us yearn for a good life. We all want to live in a harmonious society. One thing I learned in the past year is the value of the community. When they made calls here to stay home they reinforced it with the need to do it as a community member. People complied because they knew that they had to do it for the whole population. 

In my sleepless state last night I thought about what I could do as an individual to help make my country better. I know life is hard and we tend to keep to ourselves when we struggle. Seeing the sprouting of community pantries in the past few months warmed my heart. It tells me there are a lot of Filipinos with a heart for service. It's just a matter of finding and encouraging them to serve. Can you think of selfless people in your community who'd be good leaders?

If you think about it, the good mayor (itago na lang natin sa initials) VS ran because he was fed up with how things were being done in his city. He's young, just a bit experienced, but he had a heart of gold. Voters took a chance on him because they wanted change. I heard he's still been having a hard time overturning old policies in his city hall, but that hasn't stopped him from making changes. We probably have someone like him lurking in each of our communities (barangays). We need to find these change makers so we don't just keep falling back to the old system. 

What do we need to do to spark this kind of real change?

CB///*Yr2/76 #StuckAtHomeDay/Yr2/103 #StayHome #BeKind  

No comments:

Post a Comment