Pages

Friday, October 31, 2008

Experience Mindanao

Once I was in the office abroad a colleague of mine approached me and showed me the newspaper. The headline was about bombing somewhere in Mindanao. She asked me if it was that way always in our country. I quickly dispelled her view about Mindanao and I even said I really wanted to live in Davao (that's true!).

That incident made me sad. It also made me remember another colleague's story about his homeland, Pakistan. It was a very similar story. It's a PR nightmare for people who live there. Why? Because with the negative opinion about the region they won't be able to encourage tourists to go, much less invest. And one needs investments for progress.

I've been going to the Visayas and Mindanao region often in the past 5 years and from my observation, the Visayas region (specifically Cebu) has grown by leaps and bounds. There's been change in the Mindanao region (specifically Davao), but not as fast as what I've seen in Cebu. I'm basing this on construction growth because it's the most obvious one to observe.

I went to Davao and GenSan last weekend for the 2nd Mindanao Bloggers Summit. I eagerly said yes to Avel when he sent me the invitation. I love going to Mindanao because it's so different there. Everybody's open, friendly and accommodating. I told Arbet while we were chatting during MBS that Mindanao bloggers are definitely more pro-active than their counterparts anywhere else. Why? Because they have limited resources and as Mayor Acharon said, "We have to be more resilient."

I have no doubt that the bloggers who attended the Mindanao Bloggers Summit would definitely help in changing the mindset of people about their region. It will not happen overnight, but it will happen.

And if you have not visited the region, you should! Here are some video blogs I did about Davao and GenSan.





More details about the trip at LakwatseraAko (Davao and Gensan)

7 comments:

  1. Thanks Ms. A!

    See you sa Socsargen Food Trip!

    YUM YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. daya naman si aileen lang ang ininvite mo migs! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ms. Aileen, sorry to have missed you on my post. I really thought you were already there as to I realized that I just have written you as the caption of my uploaded pic with you. Anyway, I have updated it already.

    Thanks again... :)


    - GirlOpinion

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. :) I'm wondering how to email you. I wanted to ask some questions lang.. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @buddymigs - wow! buong Mindanao ito!

    @jester-in-exile - sama you!

    @mary grace - hehe, kala ko di ka nag-attend ng talk ko. salamat :)

    @noelperlas - I have a contact me link at my sidebar

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi Aileen
    thanks for being with us in Gensan during the MBS2. Your contribution is big showcase for blogging a Better Mindanao

    nice to meet you and your party as well

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:56 PM

    I've always wanted to go to Davao. I've only been to Dipolog - since its my husband's hometown... So true that people are less paranoid there than people in Manila!

    ReplyDelete