Pages

Thursday, February 15, 2024

Vintage Finds: Typewriter

Recently found a portable typewriter in my childhood home. It reminded me of Mom's huge Olympia typewriter. She used it to teach me the proper way to type. I remember I was so amazed with it I even had them put it beside my bed on the floor. It was so heavy though, so it stayed there until my parents got annoyed with me typing in their bedroom.

I don't know if Mom kept the Olympia typewriter. It looked like the one I saw in a museum in Singapore back in 2012. I haven't seen it for a long time now, so Mom may have given it away. It's my first time to see the portable one, so it must be Titay's. I brought it home to clean it up and see if it's still working. I miss typing on a typewriter. 




I enjoyed it and was thrilled we had typing classes in high school. My college batch was the last one that had typing classes. Actually we only had it for a semester because they changed all the typewriters and we had basic computer classes in the next semester. Remember the game "Typing Tutor"? I loved that game and always tried to beat my speed, haha. 

Also watched Howie Severino's documentary, "Type Kita". I originally thought it was a Valentine episode! Turned out to be about typewriters, haha. At least now I know where I can have the portable one repaired (if needed) and where to buy a new one (if I want to). It was funny to see how the younger generation didn't know how to use a typewriter. Sorry na, I'm from the last generation that experienced the offline and online world. Anyway, you can watch the documentary here.

Did you know that there's a strange trend in our country? There's always a spike for the search term "typewriter" every May/June (moreso from 2004-2014). I guess it's because it's usually the start of the schoolyear?


Given the chance, would you still use a typewriter?

#BeKind #StaySafe

No comments:

Post a Comment