Pages

Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Shell Eco Marathon Asia 2010


With team leaders and some members of our Philippine representatives 
to the Shell Eco Marathon Asia 2010.

When I was in college I did a number of odd jobs and did some work at Pilipinas Shell for a couple of months. I did some writing first and then eventually my OJT at their legal department. I also spent summers at their Tabangao Refinery when my Ate worked there as the only female engineer (I think she was the first). So I was pleasantly surprised when I received an invitation to attend an intimate dinner with the student representatives to the Shell Eco Marathon Asia 2010.

 The Shell Eco Marathon Asia is no mean feat. The students said that they are expected to build a vehicle from scratch! The vehicle that they need to build should be fuel efficient. It should be able to travel many, many miles and have the fewest fuel emissions. I wouldn't know where to start with that kind of project, but the students we got to chat with have been building their vehicle for a couple of months now and expect to do test runs within the month. Wow!


I got a sneak peek on one of the vehicles that was being built. Team UST named their car "Tiger 400" because University of Sto. Tomas is celebrating their 400th year. Team Don Bosco College named their vehicle, "Grigio". Grigio I learned is supposed to be St. John Don Bosco's miraculous dog (I have a Grigio stuffed toy and he survived Ondoy!). And finally, Team Mapua named their car "Atalanta", after the Greek goddess of voyage and adventure. 

This competition is definitely an adventure for the group of students representing our country. I am hopeful and confident that they will bring home the prize! Siyempre! Pinoy eh!  

Good luck Tim, Edmund, Lester, Anjelo, Jericho, Kenneth (please also send my regards to your teammates)!

1 comment:

  1. ..parang excited rin naman akong makita finish product nila..galing naman nila

    ReplyDelete