Pages

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Grit

In the last few years I've always started the year blogging for 30 days. My posts tend to become mundane and random after a few days, but I keep at it so I don't get too rusty at writing. I couldn't get myself to blog early this month because I was busy working on a solution for my son's schooling and I was still grieving over the loss of a friend to over ambition.

Early this morning I was mulling over the fact that I blogged last night, which means I have to write for the next 29 days. I was also thinking about Titay and the fact that when I go home she won't be around to ask me how I am and to hug me. I was also thinking about her life and how she survived living in the US for over thirty years. She had a very fulfilling career as a banker.

As I was reading through my stream I saw this article about fulfilling your goals. It basically said that more than being able to complete one's studies, one of the most important values to have is grit. And I believe Titay, being the headstrong woman that she was, had a lot of grit. I would like to think that I have a lot of grit as well.

In the last four decades of my existence I've had a lot of challenges and in the last decade I had to adjust a lot since my health isn't what it used to be. When I realized that there's a lot of things I couldn't do because of physical limitations I had to be flexible so I could still fulfill my goals. When I see my colleagues go out to complete physical challenges (i.e. trampoline) or go on tours during the haze I don't feel bad or envious because I've accepted the fact that I have limitations. I could just hope for more understanding from those who don't understand what being limited means.

The physical limitations I have do not keep me back from meeting my goals. It just means I have to be more creative and more open to asking for help where needed. Sometimes though I feel sad that I couldn't fly anymore through a forest on a zipline or jump 3 stories high to a raging river or simply go on the Transformers ride at Universal Studios. God only gives us what we could bear and I find comfort when I pray to Him for help.



No comments:

Post a Comment