Pages

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Akihabara

Ranma. Samurai X (Ruroini Kenshin). Naruto. Pokemon. Sailor Moon.

Voltes V. Daimos (Richard! Erika!).

I must admit I know very little about anime, but I did watch Voltes V and Daimos when I was a child and watched the ending of Voltes V only when I was in my mid-20s (because it was Martial Law and government banned it from showing the ending in the Philippines). I don't really remember the plot since I was just a toddler when I watched it, but I always imagined I was the youngest character in Voltes V (haha!). Daimos was altogether something else since it was essentially a love story so I do remember Richard and Erika and their complicated relationship.


After experiencing Voltes V and Daimos I was only exposed to other anime because of my friends so I cannot claim that I am a fan of anime, but my son is (he's actually taking up animation!) and hubby collects Transformers toys. We ended up visiting Akihabara twice when we were in Japan. Akihabara is essentially the mecca for anime/manga/toys lovers/collectors.

It was like Santa + Christmas + First Love all rolled into one for Miguel when we went there. He could've probably light up the whole Luzon grid with his smile when we went to Akihabara for the first time. He got so confused on what to buy because he wanted a lot of stuff, so we decided to skip Asakusa and Ginza day so we could go back to Akihabara. He definitely researched and got some of the things he wanted to buy.



So if you are planning to go to Akihabara to get some stuff make sure you do some research on what you want to buy and where you can get it because the place is huge (my friend Raymund says that you need at least 4 days to see almost everything). I enjoyed my time looking at the toys and checking out the gachapon (those things will bleed your wallet dry), but I told my boys to park me at the nearest Don Quixote so I won't slow down their Akihabara tour.



I didn't go home empty handed from Akihabara since Sweetie found a Yoda collectible for me. I also enjoyed see some of the electronics and was amazed with the robots (I still want one that could help me clean my house!). I also now proudly own a set of Yoda chopsticks. I think if I get the chance to go back I'll do my own research as well since I've been collecting Yoda stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment